For our Cinco de Mayo dinner I’m making Cilantro Fishball Soup. My California version includes asparagus and broccoli. By the way, cilantro and coriander are the same animal. I mean plant, ha ha.
- 4 cups fat-free chicken stock
- 1 T. ginger
- 2 whole star anise
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 packet sweetener
- 1 green chili, divided
- 1/2 clove pressed garlic
- a small can of mild green chilis
- 2 lbs. boneless white fish fillets, skin removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- salt/pepper or Mrs. Dash
Serve over various items: steamed broccoli florets aand asparagus with a lime wedge or cooked spaghetti noodles. Directions for preparing will only take 25 minutes.
- Place stock, ginger, star anise, soy sauce,sugar, garlic and half the green chilli in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, place fish, cilantro, lime rind, garlic in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Process until combined. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls.
- Trim broccoli and asparagus, but you will add them later. If you are making noodles, prepare them according to package directions. Stand for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Using a fork, separate noodles. Drain.
- Strain stock mixture into a bowl. Return to pan over medium heat. Add fish balls to stock mixture. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then add the broccoli florets. Cook for two minutes, then add the asparagus, cook a minute more. Cook for 1 minute or until tender.
- Divide noodles between bowls. Ladle soup, vegetables and fish balls over noodles. Top with cilantro and serve with a lime wedge.