Kathleen makes her Summer Lentil Salad with a breath of fresh flair.
Ingredients serve 8, 225 calories per serving
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium cucumber, cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 4 turkey bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a small saucepan, bring lentils and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms, cucumber, zucchini, onion and tomatoes. Whisk the vinegar, mint, oil, honey, basil and oregano. Drizzle over lentil mixture; toss to coat. Add the spinach, cheese and bacon; toss to combine. Serve immediately.