Spinach au Gratin is a festive side dish, and I make mine low calorie.
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups milk
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated light Swiss or Gruyere Cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serve hot.