On their way back to their Las Vegas home, my sister and her husband are stopping by tomorrow morning. I’m making a light version of a Sausage Tomato and Egg Frittata.
Ingredients for 4 servings: 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 onion, 5 white chopped mushrooms, 1/2 pound cooked and chopped lean turkey breakfast sausage, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes, 3 large eggs plus 3 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, 3 slices chopped light Swiss cheese.
- Preheat broiler.
- Coat a large heavy-bottomed ovenproof skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add shallot to skillet; cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, egg whites, salt and pepper; stir in tomatoes and shallot.
- Coat bottom and sides of same skillet with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet; cook until almost set, loosening edges of frittata occasionally, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over eggs; top with panko (Asian style bread crumbs).
- Place skillet under broiler, 4 inches from heat; broil until cooked through and panko browns, about 30 seconds to 1 minute (watch carefully to avoid burning). Remove from broiler immediately and let sit for 1 minute; cut into 4 wedges. Yields 1 wedge per serving.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired.