Roasted Apple-Rosemary Chicken is good served over brown or wild rice with a generous field greens salad. Calories for the whole shebang are 300, and much less fat than one single slice of cheese pizza. Funny thing about pizza– there’s a lot of talk about easing up on fat-not-light cheese, but pizza parlors don’t do it. Nevertheless, tomorrow I’ll have ways to shape up your pizza.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 small crisp apples (such as Empire or Braeburn), quartered
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts), halved crosswise and lengthwise
- 6 small sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 small chicken thighs and drumsticks (4 of each, about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a large roasting pan, toss the apples, leeks, rosemary, oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and nestle, skin-side up, among the vegetables.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the apples and leeks are tender, 40 to 45 minutes.