Friends, last week a couple of gal-pals on our street decided to host a progressive dinner. I’m in for the first “station” which is salad and appetizers. Other than salads, I will make a Butternut Squash and Kale torte.
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 15 min
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 small butternut squash (about 1 lb), thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves cut into 1-in. pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato (about 6 oz), thinly sliced
- 6 ounce(s) thinly sliced provolone cheese (from the deli counter)
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan (1 oz)
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat oven to 425°F. Oil a 9-in. springform pan. Arrange half the butternut squash in the bottom of the pan, in concentric circles. Top with half the onion, separating the rings. Top with half the kale, drizzle with half the oil and season with 1/4 tsp salt. Top with the potatoes and half the provolone cheese.
- Top with remaining kale, drizzle with the remaining oil and season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Top with the remaining onion, tomatoes and provolone. Arrange the remaining squash on top and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Cover with foil, place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the vegetables are tender and the top is beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.