No one says we have to have lamb or ham on Easter. Our daughter Janice is home for the 4-day weekend, and she doesn’t like either. Sunday is busy for us with church in the morning, and it’s nice to come home to a ready-made dinner. We’re making slow-cooker creamy (light) chicken with biscuits with a field greens salad.
- 3/4 pound carrots (about 4), cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 biscuits (the pkg kind)
- 1 cup frozen
- 1/2 cup fat free cream
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion, and flour. Place the chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the wine and broth.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Bake a pkg of lighter variety biscuits
- Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, fat free cream, and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook until heated through, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- To serve, place the bottom halves of the biscuits in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining biscuit halves.