Friends, you have the power to make this year your healthiest year yet. One way is to avoid mindless junky snacking. Do you feel like munching around four in the afternoon? For us it’s two more hours until my husband Gerry gets home for dinner, and I plan a late afternoon snack. Today I’ll have low calorie creamed spinach with sprinkles of Parmesan cheese for 200 calories. If you are rushed, pick up a box of Tabatchnick’s low calorie creamed spinach. It’s 50 calories per serving. Have two!
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot, or red onion
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallot (or onion); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbling, about 30 seconds. Add milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute. Stir the spinach into the sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
Per serving: 203 calories; 13 g fat ( 6 g sat , 6 g mono ); 23 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 370 mg sodium; 870 mg potassium.