I’m making a new side dish for Easter– A rice-lentil-mushroom and sweet potato combo.
- 5 cups rice (any variety will do, but long grain varieties are nice)
- 1 cup brown or green lentils (just not orange/red ones)
- 1 onion, or large shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1″ piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs of choice; cilantro, basil, parsley, mint (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts or seeds of choice; chopped cashews, almonds, peanuts, sesame seeds, etc (optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp agave, sugar or sweetener of choice
- black pepper or cayenne pepper to taste
- 5-4 cups water, or more as needed
- Begin by cooking your rice and lentils in the same pot. Just stir them together and add water, cover, bring to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Let cook undisturbed for 20-25 minutes until lentils are rice are both cooked through and water has been absorbed completely.
- While rice is cooking, slice and chop all veggies and set aside. When rice is almost done, begin cooking veggies in the largest pan you have, a wok is perfect, if you have one.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of sesame oil over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until onion begins to soften and garlic is fragrant (stir frequently so garlic doesn’t burn). Add carrots, mushrooms, and sweet potato. Stir fry for an additional 4-5 minutes until sweet potato begins to soften.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp of sweetener, a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper and 1 Tbsp of soy sauce (or substitute) and stir to combine. Add kale and cabbage and let simmer over medium heat until kale and cabbage have wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer veggies to a large bowl and season to taste.
- When rice/lentils are done, use the same pan/wok and heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil over medium high heat. Add rice/lentils and stir fry with 1 Tbsp of soy sauce, 1/2 Tbsp sweetener, pinch of salt and pepper. Keep stirring and stir frying until rice and lentils begin to dry out a bit, if they get a little crispy, even better.
- Add veggies back into pan with rice and lentils and toss well, add fresh herbs if using, and top with nuts/seeds before serving if desired. Season to taste as needed.