Today our daughter Janice put in a dinner request for Chicken Cordon Bleu. Below is my lighter version of the traditional recipe.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices deli ham (1 ounce each)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with pepper; place a ham slice and 3 tablespoons of cheese down the center of each piece. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpicks. Pour milk into a shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the cornflakes, paprika, garlic powder and salt. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumbs.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk the soup, sour cream and lemon juice until blended; heat through. Discard toothpicks from chicken; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.