Calzones are great with low calorie turkey sausage and lower calorie mozzarella.
- 2 servings cooking spray
- 1/2 lb lean turkey sausage, cooked and crumbled.
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (13.8 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- 1 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, pepperoni, onion and garlic, stirring frequently and breaking up meat as it cooks, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; drain and remove from heat.
- Divide dough evenly into 4 pieces; pat each dough piece into a square. Spoon beef mixture evenly onto each square, leaving a 1/2-inch border; top evenly with cheese.
- Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge; crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with marinara sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 calzone and about 2 1/2 heaping tablespoons sauce per serving