I had steel cut oatmeal left over after making Irish brown bread. You can’t put steel cut oatmeal in the microwave and expect it to taste good.
Here is my recipe which adds quinoa (a seed rather than a grain).
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup well rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of any kind
- Pinch of salt, if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups (32-ounces) water
- maple syrup, peanut butter (chunky or smooth) or raw honey for topping
- your favorite toppings such as; toasted walnuts, sliced almonds, dried or fresh mango, dried cranberries, dried cherries, hemp seeds, sliced apple, bananas, fresh or dried blueberries, sliced strawberries, raspberries
Pour 4 cups of water into a Dutch oven, add all ingredients except the toppings, bring mixture to a boil which happens within 5 minutes, turn off the heat, give it a stir, and let it sit overnight. Easy as pie.
In the morning open the lid. The quinoa and steel-cut oats absorbed the water.