Do you find take-out to be too greasy? I enjoyed this Kale and Almond Fried Rice at a friend’s luncheon. That day some of us lamented about how easy it is to gain five pounds or more between Halloween and New Years. Yikes. This recipe follows the Mayo Clinic diet that the hostess was on—she said she doesn’t have to give up carbs to get lean and healthy. As a legs model in Los Angeles, she needs to stay that way.
· 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 2 garlic cloves, chopped
· 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
· 1/2-bunch Tuscan kale, ribs removed and leaves cut with kitchen scissors
· 2 cups brown rice
· 2 tablespoons sesame oil
· 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
· 1/4 cup sliced almonds
· Sea salt, to taste
· Ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a 10-inch skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. (Tip: you can easily peel the ginger with a spoon, by scraping the excess off). Sauté for 1-2 minutes, until lightly golden.
2. Add kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the leaves are slightly wilted.
3. Add rice, sesame oil, and tamari.
4. Add almonds and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.